Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Green Goals

Adam and I would like Liam to grow up and be aware of his impact on the world around him, and make environmentally friendly and healthful choices. To that end, we’ve been examining our home life and looking for ways to improve. Here are a few we’ve come up with so far:

  1. Change over to those new low-wattage light bulbs – save energy (the ones I just put in the bathroom claim they’ll last for 9 years – zounds!)
  2. Switch from chemical cleaning products to natural cleaners – I bought the book Clean House Clean Planet for recipes – most use baking soda and vinegar. I hate the smell of chemical cleaners anyway, so this will be a welcome change. And better for our new septic system! In fact I mopped with a veggie based dish soap in hot water last week (as suggested by the book), and it worked great – and no overpowering chemical smell.
  3. Growing our own veggies – stay tuned for details about my novice attempt at gardening…and I am doing raised beds (the Square Foot Garden method), which are more efficient and use less water
  4. Find a local farm to buy our meat and eggs and anything else locally grown (to supplement the aforementioned home garden)
  5. Switch the catbox from Tidy Cat Scoop to Swheat Scoop – an all natural product made from wheat
  6. Use dryer balls to shorten the dryer time and hopefully eliminate the need for fabric softener

Well that is a start. There is plenty more we can do of course but all in good time. Of course I am open to suggestions if anybody wants to share ideas!

No comments: